Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Through the looking glass

Reading this morning's newspaper was an odd, Alice-like experience. First, alarmingly, a story that carries on the madness of using drugs for cosmetic enhancement: the pharmaceutical company that brought you Botox is now marketing its glaucoma drops for growing longer eyelashes. It sometimes seems that I've stepped into the darkest, most dystopian science fiction novel of my youth. I'm appalled by what seems our essential stupidity and superficiality.

But then, a story that took my breath away, in awe of the courage of
Afghan schoolgirls (and their parents and teachers) determined to continue their education despite being terrorized and disfigured by acid attacks a month ago.

“My parents told me to keep coming to school even if I am killed,” said Shamsia, 17, in a moment after class. Shamsia’s mother, like nearly all of the adult women in the area, is unable to read or write. “The people who did this to me don’t want women to be educated. They want us to be stupid things.”
How transformative it would be, to refocus our scientific endeavors from the trivial and cosmetic, benefitting few in insignificant ways, to solving problems that would benefit all of humanity and leave the world better for it. But that would require us not to 'be stupid things.' That may be a tall order.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this (the eyelash story) is a case of technology driving the result instead of the other way round, and thus I think you're right to be indignant. I think on the other hand of the girls in the disfigurement story from Afghanistan, and I'm hopeful that some of these technologies might one day enable them to overcome the physical scars incurred as a result of their dedication to education. I do not think that pandering to neurotic insecurity among the privileged(the eyelash story again) necessarily leads to breakthroughs that will automatically trickle down to those who most desperately need them. It's sophistry to think so. And I do wonder if we haven't already reached a tipping point from which we're unable to return because of this very question: the extent to which the technology defines its use versus the converse. I share your angst. But I also wonder if our definition of what it is to be an individual human in an age of extreme 'hive' mentality isn't somewhat archaic. Sad, but worth a bit of thought.

Regards,

Theo